Yep, she of Bladerunner, Kill Bill and Wall St fame was arrested this week after she refused to move from the pavement in front of the White House.
Daryl Hannah was arrested along with many other protesters as part of a two-week sit-in to protest against the Keystone Pipeline, currently undergoing an environmental impact study and which Obama will have to approve or reject in the coming months.
The pipeline will carry oil from the controversial ‘tar sands’ in Alberta, Canada all the way down through the United States and on to the Gulf of Mexico. Its planned course through Nebraska will take it through the eastern side of the Ogallala aquifer, an immense underground watersource that straddles eight states and provides water for millions of Americans. As you can imagine, many people living in the central third of the United States are understandably nervous about the effects an oil spill would have on their drinking and irrigation source.
Such fears are bad enough but are perhaps eclipsed by the scale of destruction currently underway in order to extract this oil from Canada’s pristine boreal forest.
- Film of Tar Sands Action protest at White House
- Lois Lane arrested. Superman busy dealing with earthquakes
- Aboriginal? Female? Gay? Unemployed? Great! You’ll love our oil!
- Canada accused of SERIOUS lobbying in Europe
- Judge kicks Canadian Govt up the arse to protect caribou
- Alberta stops Cree Nation from getting free legal representation